* 1232: The Chinese who invented gunpowder (black powder) first used it in a weapon - gunpowder filled tubes aka rockets.
* 1364: First recorded use of a firearm - shooter lit wicks by hand that ingnited gunpowder that was loaded into the
* 1400s: Matchlock guns - first mechanically firing of guns. Wicks were now attached to a clamp that sprang into gunpowder
that was placed in a "flash pan".
* 1509: Wheel lock guns - wicks were replaced the wheel lock that generated a spark for igniting the gunpowder.
* 1630: Flintlock guns - the flintlock did two things mechanically, it opened the lid of the flash pan and provided
an igniting spark.
* 1825: Percussion-cap guns invented by Reverend John Forsyth - firing mechanism no longer uses flash pan, a tube
lead straight into the gun barrel, the tupe had an exposive cap on it that exploded when struck
* 1830: Back action lock
* 1835: Colt revolver - first mass-produced, multi-shot, revolving firearms
* 1840: Pin-fire cartridges
* 1850: Shotguns
* 1859: Full rim-fire cartridge
* 1860: Spencer repeating carbine patented
* 1861: Breech loaded guns
* 1862: Gatling Gun
* 1869: Center-fire cartridge
* 1871: Cartridge revolver
* 1873: Winchester rifle
* 1877: Double-action revolver
* 1879: Lee box magazine patented
* 1892: Automatic handguns invented by Joseph Laumann
* 1893: Borchardt pistol - automatic handgun with a separate magazine in the grip
* 1903: First automatic rifle a Winchester.